MCCSS in its intervention areas has come across migrant workers, children who leave their families and native villages and work in hazardous conditions, lonely and live in unhygienic conditions. We have identified Korukkupet which is one of the dumping grounds for the Chennai Corporation situated in North Chennai. Nearly, 150 to 200 children who are under the age between12 - 18 work there collecting the waste, sell and earn money. These children who are involved in Rag picking live in in-human conditions and lack basic facilities such as food clothing, shelter etc., MCCSS in collaboration with the Chennai Corporation has started Night Shelter for Rag-pickers at R.R.Nagar and inaugurated from September 8th 2009. Presently we have 21 children benefiting through this project. The Chennai Corporation is planning to move the shelter to Parry’s where it can benefit more street children.
1. Safety and shelter
2. Medical care – a regular medical check up daily by the general Physician for the migrants in transit shelter. Blood screening and other camps.
3. Psycho-Social care - Counseling
5. Legal case assistance – Problems related to safety labor laws, bonded labor will be taken through legal Aid board
6. Mass Campaigns
7. Social Awareness on various issues
8. Awareness programmes on health/hygiene/safe working conditions/savings
It’s like a club house – a space for them to have rest, leisure, medical and psycho social care and also provides an opportunity for the NGO to advocate the major stake holders to bring in change in their working conditions.